Monday, February 29, 2016

More and more by Emma Dodd

I love every bit of you - 
your eyes and ears and nose.

I love every bit of you,
from your head down to your toes.

I love your tumbles, jumps, and bumps,
your fidgets and your wiggles

So starts this charming and endearing book about a monkey parent sharing with their monkey child all the things they about them.  Like most children our little monkey is less than perfect, but like parent everywhere their parent still loves them.

Children love it when grown ups read to them, and when that grown up is someone they have a strong bond with then the story sharing experience is even better.  While I attribute the relationship to a parent and child relationship, the wonderful thing about this book is that it could just as easily be the relationship between a child and their aunt or uncle, grandparents, or another caregiver.

Picture books are a great way to share thoughts and feelings with our little ones, and this is one of those books that will be timeless for generations - much in the same way that Guess how much I love you has become a much loved book passed from one generation to the next.

Dodd has sweet and engaging illustrations that has subtle hints of gold threaded throughout - it is nearly impossible not to be attracted to the simplistic charm of the characters.  This simple and clean style appears to be Dodd's trademark, and the same splashed of sparkling colour were in her other books too.  There is a lot to like here, and I can't wait to see more books by this author and illustrator.  

If you like this book then try:

  • When I grow up by Emma Dodd
  • All the things I love about you by LeUyen Pham
  • Guess how much I love you by Sam McBratney & illustrated by Anita Jeram
  • Grandma calls me gigglepie by J.D. Lester & illustrated by Hiroe Nakata
  • Just like my mum by David Melling
  • Just like my dad by David Melling
  • Ten things I love about you by Daniel Kirk


Reviewed  by Brilla

No comments:

Post a Comment