Her first inkling is what happens when she autopsies a body - in her brand new role as coroner/medical examiner in a small town. She's pretty sure the cops, who brought in the body, had heard about her past and were just being nasty. Until the body reanimates and walks out, she ends up with some interesting new 'ink', and Mrs Finnegan, waiting in the cooler, begins to talk.
The chief sends her off to Precinct 13, where this sort of thing is understood. And that's Alex's introduction to the paranormal world. Oh, then there's crop circles, mutilated cows, unexplained flying objects...
It's difficult to tell you why this books is a good read, without giving things away. I can say that there's a nice cast of supporting characters, and enough going on that you'll be anxious for the sequel.
If you like this book then try:
- Dark currents by Jacqueline Carey.
- Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.
- Urban shaman by C. E. Murphy.
- Wraith by Phaedra Wheldon.
- Demons not included by Cheyenne McCray.
- The iron hunt by Marjorie M. Liu.
- Storm front by Jim Butcher.